For all the loving parents out there, choosing a baby cot (or cradle) is an important decision. Your baby is going to spend most of his/her time sleeping in it, and the cot you get will be a place where you leave your little one while you attend to urgent matters.
When looking for the best baby cot in Singapore, the choices can seem overwhelming. You can find many different types and styles of baby cots at different price ranges to suit your needs and budget. So how do you know which one will work best for you?
Here are some tips on how to choose the safest and best baby cot in Singapore for your new addition to the family:
Tip #1 : Choose a Baby Cot that Complies with Safety Standards.
The Singapore Safety Standards for Cots (SS 586) set out the minimum requirements for cots sold in Singapore. To ensure that your child is safe while sleeping, buy a cot that complies with these standards. The standards include the following requirements:
- All edges of the cot must be rounded and smooth so that they do not hurt your child if he bumps into it.
- There must be no splinters and sharp edges on the cot frame. This requirement is to prevent injury from splinters or sharp edges.
- The maximum height of a railing must be at least 410mm from the base of the cot and at least 400mm from the top of the base of the cot. This requirement is to ensure that your child will not get his head stuck between the rails and suffocate, even if he moves to a position where his head is right at the railings.
- There must be no gaps between a rail and any stationary part of a cot which are greater than 60mm long or 75mm wide. This requirement is to ensure that there are no spaces through which your child can get his head limbs, hands and fingers to pass through any part of the cot
- If the cot has wheels, they should have brakes so that you can lock the wheels when necessary.
- The side of the cot must be at least 40cm high, so that your baby can’t easily climb out and fall out, causing injury.
Tip #2: Ease of use
You should choose a crib that is easy to use and maintain as well as a store if you have limited space at home and need space for other furniture and activities such as playing and studying. Consider purchasing a convertible cot that can be converted into a toddler bed when needed and back into a cot when your kid grows older. Such a crib saves you money since you do not have to buy different beds as your kid grows older since they can still use the same bed
Tip #3: Size matters
Your baby will quickly outgrow his clothes and toys, but he won’t outgrow his crib as quickly. A cot that is too small can be uncomfortable and even dangerous, while a cot that’s too big can seem overwhelming — not to mention the fact that you’ll be shelling out more money than necessary.
To make sure that a cot is the right size, measure your child from head to toe (don’t forget those long legs!). Ideally, you want a cot in which your child can lie down comfortably with at least 2 inches of space between the edge and the mattress.
Tip #4:Consider the Size of Your Room
Before buying a cot, measure out its dimensions in the nursery room to make sure it will fit into the space you have for it. You may also want to consider how close you would like the cot to be with your bed because many parents like to keep their babies close when they are young.
Tip #5: Choose a Baby Cot Based on Your Baby’s Age
The first thing that you need to take into account is your child’s age. This will help you choose the best baby cot in Singapore for your child’s needs. If you want something that can be moved around easily, you can choose a playpen or travel cot instead of a permanent one. These usually have mesh sides so that you can see your baby while they are sleeping or playing inside easily.
Tip #6: Consider Your Budget
Baby cots vary greatly in price. Some models are relatively inexpensive, while others are quite expensive. It is important to pick a model that suits your budget without sacrificing safety or quality. Purchasing a cheap model may end up costing more money in the long run if it breaks in a few months and needs to be replaced.
Tip #7: Choose a Multifunctional Cot
As mentioned earlier, your baby uses their crib for more than just sleeping in at night. With this in mind, look for a versatile product that offers plenty of functions. Converting your baby’s crib into something else like a playpen or changing table will make life easier on you as well as them.
Get The Best Baby Cot For Your Baby
By following the tips above, you can be sure to pick up a baby cot that will be safe for your baby and allow them to sleep well and comfortably. But to make your search for the best baby cot in Singapore easier, SuperMom have gathered together some of the best options on the market and put them side by side. Our online baby store allows you to find the ideal option for your child easily and conveniently from home. From foldable travel cots to bedding, we are confident that we have something that will make life easier for you and your little one. You can browse our range today and ensure your little one gets a good night’s sleep sooner rather than later!