Congratulations! You’ve made it to the end of your pregnancy, and your baby is about to arrive in the world.
If you’ve been pregnant before, you probably have a pretty good idea of what you’ll need for your newborn. If this is your first time welcoming a baby into your family, however, there are some things that can be easily overlooked when preparing for the new addition. To help take some of the stress out of preparing for your baby’s arrival, we’ve put together a newborn checklist of all the must-haves for you and your little one. Not only that, we will also share you how you can complete all your newborn must-haves without breaking the bank!
Baby Clothing Essentials
Newborns go through lots of clothes in the first few weeks, so have a good supply on hand. Just make sure not to get carried away when shopping for clothes because your baby won’t be staying in one size for very long. If you are unsure of how much you should get, you can at least buy a week’s worth of clothes then buy extra clothes that are one size bigger.
When buying clothes for your baby, you need to consider that your baby would be needing different sets of clothes during the day, for sleeping and for going out. You also need to think about the weather in the place where your baby will be spending the first 3 months. Above all, you have to choose clothes that are soft and comfortable for your baby.
Here’s a guide to help you fill your baby’s wardrobe:
- 4-8 Shirts: You want your baby to look good, but you also want them to be comfortable. With so many choices on the market, it can be hard to know which type of shirt is the best for your baby. Short-sleeved shirts are a classic choice that always looks cute. Front tie shirts are perfect for warmer weather, as they allows baby’s skin to breathe. And shirts with snaps are ideal for those inevitable diaper changes. No matter which style you choose, make sure to select a shirt that is made from soft, breathable fabric. Your baby will thank you for it!
- 4-8 Leggings : If you’re looking for a way to keep your baby’s feet warm and cozy, footsies are a great option. These soft, comfortable leggings fit snugly around your baby’s feet and lower legs, providing an extra layer of warmth. They’re also great for crawling babies, as they help to protect knees and shins from scrapes and bruises. Plus, footsies come in a variety of cute and trendy designs, so you can find a pair that matches your baby’s unique personality.
- 4-6 Onesies : When it comes to baby clothes, few things are more convenient than a onesie. Not only are they easy to put on and take off, but they also provide a snug, comfortable fit that helps babies feel safe and secure. In addition, onesies come in a wide range of styles, from cute and cuddly to trendy and hip. Whether you’re looking for a playful pattern or a simple solid color, you’re sure to find a onesie that’s just right for your little one.
- 4-8 Hand mittens : One of the most frustrating things for a parent is when their baby gets scratched by their own nails. It’s inevitable- those little fingers are constantly exploring their face, and sooner or later they’re going to catch a nail on something. Thankfully, there is an easy way to avoid this problem: hand mittens. Hand mittens are simply gloves that fit over a baby’s hands, and they can be made from a variety of materials including cotton, fleece, or even silicone. Not only do they prevent scratches, but they also keep hands warm and can help to soothe teething pain.
- 4-6 Booties : Most parents will agree that there is nothing quite so adorable as a baby’s feet. But those little toes can get cold quickly, which is why booties are such an essential item for any newborn. Not only do they help to keep baby’s feet warm, but they also prevent chafing and protect delicate skin from the elements. Most booties are made from soft, breathable materials like wool or cotton, which helps to wick away moisture and keep baby’s feet dry.
- 2 Beanie hats : As the weather gets cooler, it’s important to keep your little one’s head warm. A beanie hat is the perfect way to do that. Not only do beanies look cute, but they also provide essential warmth. If you’re looking for a beanie for your baby, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, choose a material that is soft and gentle on your baby’s skin. You’ll also want to make sure the beanie is breathable so that your baby doesn’t get too hot. Finally, look for a hat that has a secure fit so that it stays in place and doesn’t fall off. With these guidelines in mind, you’re sure to find the perfect beanie hat for your baby.
- 6-8 Bibs : A bib will be essential for keeping your little one clean during feedings. Look for ones that are soft on their delicate skin and easy to clean—you’ll be washing them often!
- 4-6 Swaddle blankets : Swaddling blankets are great for keeping babies warm while they sleep, as well as helping them feel secure and loved during those first few weeks at home when they’re adjusting to life outside the womb.
- Baby-safe detergents : When you have a baby, you quickly learn that everything needs to be washed—and washed often. From bibs and burp cloths to clothes and bedding, it can feel like your washing machine is running constantly. However, standard laundry detergents are not always ideal for baby laundry. Many of them contain harsh chemicals that can irritate sensitive skin, and some even have fragrances that can cause problems for babies with allergies or asthma. Fortunately, there are now a number of “baby-safe” detergents on the market that are designed specifically for use with clothing and bedding. These detergents are usually hypoallergenic and contain gentle ingredients that won’t irritate delicate skin. In addition, they often come in unscented formulas to further reduce the risk of irritation. If you’re looking for a laundry detergent that is safe for your baby, be sure to look for one of these “baby-safe” options.
Baby Diapering Essentials
Your baby will seem to pee and poop more than you have expected. And as new parents, you may be surprised at how many diapers changing you need to go through in a day. You can use cloth diapers or disposable ones. If you’re considering using disposable diapers, stick with brands that are trusted and popular. Buy small packs or get samples from brands you want to try on your baby before stocking up.
You would also need to clean your baby on every diaper change. When choosing baby wipes, make sure that they are safe for your baby, hypoallergenic and made from baby-friendly ingredients. Alternatively, you can also use cotton balls and warm water. Babies have super-sensitive skin and some babies may have allergic reactions to diapers, baby wipes or if you’re unable to get their diapers changed right away. It’s also good to have a diaper cream handy in case this happens.
Here’s a list of what you need to get for your baby diapering essentials:
- Disposable diapers/Cloth diapers: If you’re considering using disposable diapers, stick with brands that are trusted and popular. Buy small packs or get samples from brands you want to try on your baby. It’s important to find a brand that doesn’t cause diaper rash. Many parents like to use disposables at night so their baby can sleep uninterrupted. If you’re using cloth diapers, you’ll need a diaper pail and laundry detergent that’s designed for babies. Some parents prefer all-in-one cloth diapers while others like the convenience of prefolds with covers. There are many different types of cloth diapers to choose from, so do some research to figure out what will work best for your family. Regardless of which type of diaper you use, be sure to have plenty on hand so you’re not caught off guard when your baby needs a change.
- Baby-safe wipes : Baby wipes are designed to be soft and gentle on delicate skin, making them ideal for use on infants and toddlers. However, not all baby wipes are created equal. Some brands contain harsh chemicals that can irritate a baby’s skin, so it’s important to choose a wipe that is both safe and effective. When choosing a baby wipe, look for one that is free of fragrances, alcohols, and other harsh chemicals. hypoallergenic and non-toxic. Additionally, make sure the wipes are thick enough to handle even the most stubborn messes.
- Cotton balls : Soft, absorbent, and gentle on delicate skin, cotton balls are perfect for everything from cleaning up messes to applying moisturizer. They are also relatively inexpensive, making them a budget-friendly option for parents
- Diaper cream : Any parent of a young baby knows that diaper rash is a common occurrence. Diaper rash is caused by a number of factors, including wetness, friction, and irritation from soiled diapers. While there are many products on the market that claim to prevent or treat diaper rash, one of the most effective is diaper cream. Diaper cream forms a barrier between the skin and the diaper, helping to protect against wetness and friction. Additionally, it can help to soothe and heal existing irritation. When applied at each diaper change, diaper cream can help to keep your baby’s bottom healthy and free from rash.
- Waterproof changing mat (optional) : A must have for those messy moments, the Baby Waterproof Changing Mat is perfect for changing your baby on the go. Made from durable, easy to clean materials, this mat is ideal for use at home or while travelling. The mat features a water resistant outer layer and a soft, absorbent inner layer, making it both comfortable and practical.
Baby Bath time Essentials
Babies smell like heaven, but they need baths too! Bath times can help relax your baby and keep them clean. You can bathe your baby at least 2 to 3 times a week with warm water and baby products to prevent their skin from drying and getting irritated. Several baby bath products in the market have been clinically proven to be safe and gentle on your baby’s skin.
Baby baths should be around 5 to 10 minutes and can be given any time of day but not when they are hungry or right after feeding. Anything longer than that can dry your baby’s skin. When bathing your baby, make sure that you have everything you need within your reach so you won’t have to leave your baby in the tub alone. You can place your baby bath products in a basket so you won’t forget anything. After bathing, make sure to dry your baby completely and don’t forget to moisturise.
Here are some baby bath essentials you should get:
- Baby bathtub: Bathing a baby can be one of the most daunting tasks for a new parent. Not only is it difficult to keep a squirmy infant still long enough to get them clean, but you also have to be careful to avoid accidents. One way to make the process easier is to invest in a baby bathtub. These tubs are designed to provide a safe, comfortable space for washing your little one. They often come equipped with special features like non-slip surfaces and built-in temperature sensors to help keep your baby safe and comfortable. In addition, many baby bathtubs come with draining systems that make it easy to empty and clean after use. Whether you’re a first-time parent or a seasoned pro, a baby bathtub can make bath time a breeze.
- Bath support : Bath supports provide a safe and comfortable place for your baby during bath time. They come in different shapes and sizes to fit any sink, and they have suction cups that keep them securely in place. Most bath supports also have a padded bottom, which helps to protect your baby’s delicate skin. Bath time is an important part of your baby’s daily routine, and a bath support can help to make it a more enjoyable experience for both you and your child.
- Baby shampoo : For many parents, baby shampoo is a product that they cannot live without. Baby shampoo is designed to be gentle on delicate skin and hair, and it helps to keep your baby’s scalp clean and free of cradle cap. In addition, baby shampoo is tear-free, so you can avoid those dreaded moments when your child gets shampoo in their eyes.
- Baby wash : Baby wash is a type of cleansing product that is specifically designed for use on infants. Unlike regular soap, baby wash is usually milder and more gentle, making it less likely to cause irritation or other side effects. In addition, baby wash is often fortified with additional ingredients that can help to soothe and protect the delicate skin of an infant. These ingredients can include everything from moisturizers to herbal extracts. As a result, baby wash can be a great way to keep an infant’s skin clean and healthy.
- Soft washcloths : After a long day, there’s nothing more relaxing than a warm bath. But even the most luxurious bubble bath can feel incomplete without a soft, absorbent washcloth. These washcloths are made from a super soft material that is gentle on baby’s skin. They are also hypoallergenic, making them ideal for those with sensitive skin. Baby Soft washcloths are available in a variety of colors and styles, so parents can choose the perfect one for their little one.
- Baby toiletry kit : A baby toiletry kit is a must-have for any new parent. It contains all of the essentials for keeping your baby clean and healthy, including a fine-tooth comb, soft brush, nail clippers, baby thermometer and nasal aspirator.
Baby Feeding Essentials
For the first few months, your baby will only be feeding on milk before they can start eating solid food. Breast milk provides the ideal nutrition for babies and is recommended by experts as the best nutrition source. Aside from that, breastfeeding offers a lot of health benefits for mummies too!
Baby bottles are a definite must-have for babies. Newborns will be feeding in small amounts every 1 to 3 hours or around 8 to 12 times a day. So you would need more baby bottles ready when your baby demands them. If you’re planning to breastfeed, you can nurse your baby directly or pump your breast milk on schedule.
Whether you plan to give your baby breastmilk, formula or a combination of both, you must find the right feeding products to make your journey to motherhood easier.
Here are the essential baby feeding supplies you will need:
- 6-8 Newborn baby bottles and teats : When it comes to feeding your baby, you want to choose the best products that will provide them with the nutrients they need. Baby bottles and teats are no exception. There are a variety of different brands and types on the market, so how do you choose the right ones?
One factor to consider is the size of the bottle. 4-ounce bottles are typically the most popular choice for newborns, but if you think your baby will need more formula or breast milk, you can opt for a bigger size. Another thing to keep in mind is the shape of the teat. Some are designed to mimic the breast, while others have a more traditional shape. You’ll also want to make sure that the teat is soft and flexible so that it’s comfortable for your baby to latch on to. Lastly, pay attention to the materials that the bottle and teat are made from. BPA-free options are always a good choice, as they don’t contain any harmful chemicals. With so many different factors to consider, picking the perfect baby bottles and teats can be daunting. But by keeping these tips in mind, you’re sure to find the perfect solution for your little one.
- 6-8 Bibs (already mentioned on baby clothing essentials)
- 4-6 Burp cloths: For new parents, burp cloths are an essential item. Not only do they protect clothes from spit-up and other messes, but they can also be used for everything from wiping runny noses to mopping up spills.
- Bottle steriliser (you can get the conventional type or UV sterilisers)
- Bottle brush
- Baby milk formula (if not breastfeeding)
- Breast pump (if you plan to breastfeed)
- Milk storage bags/containers (if you plan to breastfeed)
- Nipple cream (if you plan to breastfeed)
- Baby-safe dishwashing liquid
Baby Nursery Essentials
Newborn babies will be sleeping most of the time, and will only wake up for milk. So, it is important to set up a safe and comfortable place for your baby to rest. Keep your baby in a quiet room to avoid interrupting their sleep and make sure that their crib/cot is clutter-free. You can also decorate your baby’s space/room to your preference.
When choosing baby furniture, consider the place where you intend to put them. If your baby is sharing your bedroom, make sure that you will still have some space where you can comfortably move around. Keeping your baby items organised and within your reach will help you prepare for diaper changes, feeding and bath time easier.
Check out this list for your baby nursery necessities:
- Baby crib/Baby cot
- Firm and flat mattress
- 3-4 fitted crib sheets (regularly change sheets or as needed)
- Organiser for baby items
- A few books and toys (to keep your baby entertained when they are awake)
Baby Travelling Essentials
As soon as you’re ready to take your baby home with you from the hospital, you will be required to have a car seat. This will also be used when you need to take your baby to the doctor for check-ups or when you visit your family and friends. When choosing baby travelling solutions, you must opt for products that are versatile, lightweight and easy to use and install. It is also important that your baby car seat/carrier is compatible with your stroller.
If you need to take your baby out, you would need to carry all their essentials with you. Baby bottles, milk, diapers, wipes and extra change of clothing for your baby are just some of the items you need to have ready when you need them. Get a diaper bag that can fit all these baby essentials and can comfortably be carried or placed under your stroller basket.
Here are the baby must-haves when you need to hit the road with your little one:
- Baby car seat
- Baby stroller
- Diaper bag
- Portable changing mat
- Nursing cover (if you plan to breastfeed)
- Baby essentials (bottles, milk, water, wet wipes, diaper, extra clothes, etc.)
There are tons of to-dos and to-buys when preparing for your baby’s arrival. Don’t get stressed out and remember to enjoy all of these moments. Stick with your plan, keep things simple and focus on what you and your baby really needs. Don’t hesitate to ask your family and friends for help. Here at SuperMom, we do our best to help you navigate your way through the exciting and sometimes overwhelming journey of pregnancy and parenting.
Get Everything Your Newborn Baby Needs Without Breaking the Bank
When you are having a newborn, it’s important to ensure that every little thing is there for you. This checklist has all the must-have items for your newborn, from diapers to bottles and oldies but goodies. Get them on your shopping spree at Supermom X MBS Baby Fair on August 5-7, 2022! You can get all your baby essentials under one roof, and best of all, it’s up to 90% off. With over 1,000 booths from top brands around the country, you’re sure to find what you need for a new addition or treat yourself with some new items for your own little one!
Not only that, you can also save more by having FREEBIES, perks and exclusive discounts from Shopee just by signing up as our baby fair VIP. Here’s what you can expect:
Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Miss Supermom x Shopee’s Baby Fair
SuperMom is committed to giving mothers the best possible shopping experience. That’s why we’ve partnered with Shopee and gathered direct distributors and wholesalers to offer the biggest selection of top brands and products at the best prices.
25-29 July 2022 | Online PREORDER with Xtra 10% off | www.welovesupermom.com
3 things you must do to get the max out of our baby fair:
Compare and get the best prices for baby essentials in Singapore at SuperMom now >